Here are some quick thoughts on tonight’s Steelers-Lions preseason opener.
• Preseason sucks.
• Gretz may dry out by next Thursday.
• Flozell Adams’ debut didn’t go as he would have hoped. Cliff Avril ran right past him for a first quarter sack. However, Mike Florio’s suggestion at PFT that the Steelers could cut Adams is insane–Pittsburgh doesn’t have any other options.
Related: Adam’s View from 522 | Ryan’s Recap
• Wide receiver Antonio Brown has some speed. His catch and run on a 68-yard touchdown was a thing of beauty. That’s the kind of play that helps ensure you make a team. He added to his case even more with a nice diving catch late in the game.
• Dennis Dixon was solid, but if you just look at his stats, you may think he was better than he was. He had two long passes and both of them were short/intermediate passes with a whole lot of yards after the catch. That being said, you can’t knock 6-for-7 with no awful passes.
• Also when Dixon tucks the ball and runs, it’s fitting he’s wearing No. 10 this year–he’s Pittsburgh’s best running threat at quarterback since Kordell Stewart.
• Crezdon Butler made a nice break on a ball for a pass broken up.
• It may not mean anything, but the Steelers gave Isaac Redman a long, long look with plenty of carries. Overall he looked pretty good, reminding everyone that he runs hard.
• The NFL.com stats are very helpful, but I feel confident that the tackle stats aren’t completely accurate. Ben Roethlisberger didn’t play, so it’s highly unlikely that he recorded a tackle.