First, a fantastic quote from Ed Bouchette to get you in the mood:
“I was there when someone asked Chuck Noll how difficult the final cuts would be. Noll answered that making the cuts would not be difficult, ‘stopping’ would be.”
Noll and John McKay should have taken that act on the road.
Anyway, as Bouchette points out, Tomlin will have much tougher decisions to make this week, although the first round of cuts were neither difficult nor unexpected: LB Brandon Renkart, CB David Pittman, FB Dwayne Wright and G Adrian Jones. Rookie guard Chris Scott was placed on the reserve/physically unable to perform list, and veteran OLB Andre Frazier was released from IR.
Worth noting: none of the rookies got the ax. Of course, the real test will come Friday and Saturday, when Tomlin has to whittle the roster from 75 to 53.
Keeping with the Bouchette theme, in today’s PG+, he takes a first crack at his final roster. Fans of overachieving, gritty, short white dudes rejoice because Tyler Grisham makes the list. You knew it was coming.
- Projected 53-Man Final Roster After 2 Preseason Games and Other Goodies
- Steelers Should Cut Hartwig, Keep Hills On 53-Man Roster
- Training Camp Preview and Roster Projections: Linebackers
- Training Camp Preview and Roster Projections: Running Backs
- Projected 53-Man Final Roster After 1 Preseason Game And Other Goodies