A quick daily look at what’s happening around Steelers Nation. And consider this your open thread for discussing the days events and, well, anything else that comes to mind about the Black and Gold.
– I have no question of the day on my mind, so it’s up to you guys to take the discussion in your own direction. Or maybe you have some thoughts on these links…
– This discussion came up at the Gretz household during Sunday’s game, but we all came to the conclusion that when you look at Jeff Fisher, your first thought is, “Man, that guy looks like he might be a huge jerk.” But, then, we all agreed that when he starts to talk he sounds like a reasonable, decent person. (I think this was the subject of Malcolm Gladwell’s book, Blink, how people make snap judgments in the first two seconds of seeing somebody and, most of the time, they’re wrong. I have it sitting on my bookshelf, I just haven’t read it yet, so I may be wrong on that. Anyway…) Fisher thinks the refs missed two calls during Sunday’s game: He thinks James Harrison should have been flagged for his pile-drive sack of Vince Young, and that Troy Polamalu was actually offsides when he timed the snap and jumped over the line of scrimmage.
Regarding Harrison, honestly, I’m surprised he wasn’t flagged. Rolando McClain, the rookie linebacker out in Oakland, pulled a similar move on a receiver during Sunday’s game and was flagged, and let’s not forget that LaMarr Woodley once received a $10,000 fine for sacking Jason Campbell in an intimidating manner. The fine reports don’t come out until Friday, so I suppose that’s something to maybe keep an eye on. [The Tennessean]
– More great video analysis from the folks at Post Game Heroes. This edition focuses on the job done by Aaron Smith against the Titans. [Post Game Heroes]
– One of my favorite off-beat features on any website out there right now is the one Pittsburgh Sports and Mini Ponies currently runs, “Great Moments In Unlicensed Pittsburgh Sports Merchandise.” As an owner of several pieces of unlicensed Pittsburgh Sports Merchandise (If You Ain’t a Steelers Fan You Ain’t Shit; Cleveland Still Sucks, etc. etc. etc.), I find it hilarious. Here’s their most recent one… [Pittsburgh Sports And Mini Ponies]
– And for your random YouTube of the day: It was mentioned on one of our recent Podcasts, but I absolutely love Kordell Stewart. He is, if nothing else, one of the most interesting players in Steelers history. So here’s his first career touchdown catch.