As Ryan likes to say, “it’s go time.” Finally, it’s opening day, and this is your game thread for all of the Steelers vs. Falcons action.
Let’s do it.
Here in Israel, Fox is showing our game on satellite. Problem is, it’s prime time (seven o’clock) and getting the TV will mean serious negotiations with my wife. I’ll probably have to settle for Audio Pass (the successor to Field Pass) and GameCemter.
Middle East TV (satellite from Cyprus) is showing the Bengals and afterwards Eagles-Packers.
i’m stuck with the panthers and the jets here in NC. unless i go to a bar or something… ugh…
I’m in Canada, and it’s literally the only 1pm game not on TV (where I am, at least). It’s annoying, but I’ll hopefully find a stream, and if not, I’ll just listen to it on Steelers.com, where there will apparently be a free stream. Let me know if anyone finds a stream, and I’ll do the same for anyone in need.
Admittedly….I stole/intercepted your Steeler Polka and placed it on SCI…..
And why are you guy’s watching NFL Game Day?
Because ESPN is the alternative.
Also: just tweeted this:
“Think this means ARE and MeMo are returners. RT @SteelersDigest: Inactives: Leftwich, KLewis, Dwyer, Butler, Hills, Foster, ABrown, Gibson.”
It’ll be just like 2002 on punt returns!
I guess I am a little surprised Worilds is active over Brown, as it seems to me Brown has a better chance of seeing the field. Anyway, I am excited to see how the 2010 Steelers look in the opening game
Missed the first drive to paydirt..errr..figgie. Good drive for the kid.
Sack baby! Woodley going to have monster yr.
I’d like to see a long attempt to #17, just to move some defenders back.
Dixon still can’t read a zone.
I don’t think I can take 3 more games of this…lol..hoping a FG holds up.
Not hating on DD, but…he’s not ready for this level
I end the DD experiment now. Put Batch under center for the second half.
In other news, the Bengals are getting pounded 24-0..at least we have a lead
Just got back from my soccer game… What did i miss that the box score won’t tell me?
Field goal try wasn’t too bright.
Would have preferred going for it on that fourth down.
Dennis looks apprehensive, hesitant. He’s short-hopped Randle El something like 27 times, which should be impossible. Apparently, it’s not. Defense — Juan in particular — is killing it.
On a separate note, Brian Finneran reminds me a bit of Joe Jurevicious, and maybe even Ed McCaffrey
Now..that’s the return game I remember!
Thank you very much!
Wow, Dixon just sort of short-armed that long pass to Wallace, who only had to slow down a little to get that ball. I went from saying “uh oh” to “yesss!!” on that play as I watched it develop
Troy is back.
Now that’s a running game!
For fun, I kept some notes as I watched the game, and I figured I may as well share. These aren’t in-depth analyses or anything – just a log of some thought I had, right or wrong, over the course of the game.
1. A couple weeks ago I read somewhere, possibly here, that Arians loves the end-around to ARE so much that when he’s in motion it’s a dead giveaway one is coming. I agreed. So how about that fake end around to ARE? I liked that.
2. Impressive big leg field goal by Jeff Reed at the end of the first drive.
3. The defensive line is showing some serious power, pushing through blockers.
3. Redman can play against first stringers in real games. I definitely liked Redman in preseason, but there was always that “yeah, but can he do it for real?” in the back of my head. Well, yes, hes can.
4. On that first long pass to Ward over the middle, did he get up and start running the wrong way? It looked to me like he got turned around getting up and his teammates quickly informed him.
5. The Steelers weakness on defense seems to be up the middle of the field 10 or so yards deep.
6. That looked like a clear catch and force out on ARE.
7. That was an incomplete pass on that long up the middle catch for Atlanta at the eand of the half. Very surprised the booth didn’t even review it.
8. That was too long an FG attempt to make with so much time on the clock. BUt the decision is tough. What’s the highest percentage play there. I’m guessing you should pooch punt that (and yes this is what I though before I knew the outcome).
9. Roddy White is having a good game on the sidelines, but don’t blame McFadden. He’s playing well too, and the damage would be much worse if he weren’t.
10. The O-line is looking pretty good on both run and pass plays.
11. Reed gets a touchback!
12. I would like to see some passes with Dixon uncovered. (Later in the game an announcer was talking about how “between the numbers” has been much better for Dixon in the game. I don’t think the issue is where on the field the ball goes as much as where it was relative to Dixon. Rolling out buys you more field.)
13. The announcers are fellating Matt Ryan. This is especially odd considering how defensive this game is.
14. Hines Ward is still a star. He isn’t fast and never was, but he catches the ball, and more importantly, the man knows how to get open.
15. I don’t see how that can possibly be an incomplete pass. EIther he has control of the ball or he does not. It he does not, it’s a fumble and the ruling stands. If he does have control, that’s intentional grounding.
16. On that sack right before the min warning warning. I think that should have been a running down given the clock situation (yes, I thought this before the play was run).
17. Why isn’t pushing a blocker into the kick receiver a violation of fair catch?
18. Great run by mendenhall. Greater hole opened up for Mendenhall.
19. My MVP for the game is Sepulveda. Usually you call out the punter because your team had a bad day. BUt this time in a field position battle, Sepulveda consistently got off terrific punts and especially in the middle half of the game kept the Steelers from losing a lot of ground series-to-series.
Intropy,Fantastic notes — I made them into their own post. Thanks for sharing.
That’s a surprising honor. Thank you!
Pingback: Falcons-Steelers Game Recap: A Fan's Perspective | Steelers Lounge