A quick daily look at what’s happening around Steelers Nation. And consider this your open thread for discussing the days events and, well, anything else that comes to mind about the Black and Gold.
– It’s obvious this James Harrison stuff isn’t going away anytime soon, especially since the former defensive player of the year apparently considered retirement after he was hit with a $75,000 fine. On Wednesday, Roger Goodell issued a statement that warned players and coaches about illegal hits. The statement:
“One of our most important priorities is protecting our players from needless injury,” Goodell said in comments distributed by the league. “In recent years, we have emphasized minimizing contact to the head and neck, especially where a defenseless player is involved. It is clear to me that further action is required to emphasize the importance of teaching safe and controlled techniques, and of playing within the rules. It is incumbent on all of us to support the rules we have in place to protect players.”
I’m sure I could add something talking about why that’s bullshit (like how ball carriers are still allowed to be clocked in the head, and that’s legal), but I’m out of energy on this topic.
Anyway, on to the links…
– If you haven’t watched it by now, you really need to check it out. ESPN’s Mark Schlereth absolutely loses his shit when talking about all of this. [ESPN]
– Seriously. Guys. James Harrison is not going to retire. [One For The Other Thumb]
– Craig Wolfley weighs in on the fines. [Craig Wolfley's Blog]
– And for your random YouTube of the day: Ben Roethlisberger to Mike Wallace. Touchdown.