A quick daily look at what’s happening around Steelers Nation. And consider this your open thread for discussing the days events and, well, anything else that comes to mind about the Black and Gold.
– First things first: who ya got? (In a shocking development, JJ, Adam and I picked the Steelers on the podcast.)
– I can not tell you how much I love Dick LeBeau. In fact, I didn’t think I could love him more … and then I saw this. It’s NFL Network’s Sound FX from the Ravens-Steelers AFC Divisional game and at some point after halftime LeBeau, standing in front of his defense, speaks frankly: “These guys can’t score on us without some fluky shit.” This should be on a t-shirt. [NFL Network's Sound FX]
– JJ spoke with SNY TV about the Jets-Steelers get-together. The analysis, as always, is spot-on, although I’m particularly fond of JJ’s Janet Jackson headset. [SNY TV]
– In case we haven’t beaten you over the head with it in the last 15 minutes, here’s the Jets-Steelers preview podcast. And if you’re tired of hearing us flap our gums, Three Rivers Burgh Blog got Nick from psamp.com and Chris from One4theOtherThumb.com together for a preview podcast. [Three Rivers Burgh Blog]
– It’s easy to make fun of ESPN because, well, they’re easy targets. But I’ve read a few of Elizabeth Merrill’s recent columns and they’re really good. Here’s her latest on Big Ben trying to reinvent himself. This was hysterical: “He kind of had an arrogance to him,” Willie Colon said. “I’m a Bronx New York kid. We don’t get star-struck. I wasn’t impressed. I wasn’t sold on the whole Big Ben thing.” [ESPN]
– Cold Hard Football Facts, writing on SI.com, love the Steelers Sunday. [SI.com]
– Something else that needs to be on a t-shirt: Mike Tomlin’s face as he stares a hole through ESPN’s Bob Holtzman. You can read the backstory here (or watch the hilarity unfold here, about 1:35 in), but the bottom line is this: Holtzman is an idiot. And, yes, the two unnamed Steelers are better off keeping their mouths shut, but it’s not like this is Holtzman’s first day on the job.
That said, I give the dude credit for showing up to the press conference and serving up that hanging curveball to Tomlin on national television. Well done, numbnuts. [NFL.com]
– Alan Paul writes about what it’s like being a Steelers fan in Beijing. [WSJ]
– I think we can all agree that Colin Cowherd is a douche, but I laughed out loud at this. “The Steelers are GWAR. They actually eat people.” [Blog 'n' Gold]
And that leads to this (via OFTOT):
– It was only a matter of time: “Steelers announce Wiz Khalifa will perform ‘Black and Yellow’ on field before AFC Title Game.” [Twitter]
– YouTube Magic: because, let’s be honest, you can’t watch it enough this time of year: