The best part about the Steelers’ 25-10 loss to the Carolina Panthers on Thursday night was when the game ended, if for no other reason than the simple fact that it means preseason football is behind us and the regular season is officially here.
Nobody of any significance saw the field for the Steelers on Thursday night (and that’s a good thing) while fourth-round draft pick Landry Jones played the entire game with some mixed results (solid first half, not so good second half).
A few thoughts as a few roster spots that remain up for grabs, as well as the game in general:
1) I think Felix Jones has a place on this team and think he can contribute. It probably didn’t help Jonathan Dwyer that he put the football on the ground again.
2) Derek Moye seems like he may have played his way on to the roster with another nice showing that included a 32-yard catch. David Dunn probably played his way off of the roster when he turned a fourth quarter punt return into a safety for Carolina. I don’t blame Dunn for the play, though. If he is going to make the roster he is going to make it for his return abilities, and in that situation late in the fourth quarter of the fourth preseason game he isn’t going to make the team by signaling for a fair catch or allowing the ball to bounce into the end zone for a touchback. I have no idea why any bubble player ever takes a knee in the preseason. That’s your shot. Try to do something with it.
3) David Paulson was pretty effective in the passing game catching all four passes thrown in his direction, including a 14-yard touchdown pass from Landry Jones on the first Steelers possession.
4) Derek Anderson and Ted Ginn had their way with the backup secondary. Ginn caught five of the six passes he was targeted on for 149 yards. That included a 35-yard touchdown and an 87-yard touchdown.
5) Chris Carter, making a final push to secure himself another year on the roster, recorded two sacks and managed to get to the quarterback one other time.
6) Starting fullback Will Johnson violated rule No. 1 of the preseason and was injured in the first quarter. Doesn’t seem to be too serious at the moment.